Saturday, November 1, 2014

Blog Hop: WHY I WROTE MY PITCHWARS NOVEL

Some of the mentees this year are doing a blog hop, telling why we wrote our manuscript that was chosen for PitchWars. Well, the short answer for why I write any novel, is because the characters won't leave me alone until I get their story down on paper (and by that time, I've fallen in love with them and won't let them go.)

I am so beyond thrilled that my contemporary verse novel for middle-grade, POCKET FULL OF POPPIES, was chosen by Joy McCoullough-Carranza for PitchWars this year! It has been such an amazing few months of learning, revising, and making wonderful new writing friends.

My PitchWars novel is a story about a girl who tries to hide her worsening Tourette syndrome. Really, it is about so much more than that, but I'm trying to give you the short version here, folks.

It is probably important for me to mention that I was diagnosed with Tourette syndrome three months after I started the first draft of POCKET FULL OF POPPIES. I've had symptoms since childhood, but was never diagnosed nor did I understand that the things I was doing/feeling/thinking could be attributed to a disorder.

The more open I became about my diagnosis, the more I discovered what a misunderstood thing TS is and my desire to write a story where readers could emotionally walk in Tourette syndrome's shoes grew until I could contain it no more.

I wrote it because it was therapeutic for me.
I wrote it so others could understand.
I wrote it because I couldn't not write it.

And now . . . check out the rest of these amazing Pitch Warriors in the Blog Hop
and learn why they wrote their PitchWars novels.



Tracie Martin: WILD IS THE WIND






































17 comments:

  1. I want to read this! Good luck with Pitch Wars. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so brave; not only because you wrote about something so personal to you, but because you have the chance to help so many others. Understanding is they key. *standing ovation* Let me know when this comes out. You can count on me to rush to the bookstore and plunk my money down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Blushes* Thank you for this comment, Carlee! I have to admit, it is more personal than anything I've written so far.

      Delete
  3. I love your title. And I love the personal inspiration for the book too! Let me know if you ever need consideration/celebrating as you query. Since you're my closest pitchwars friend and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Same to you. We will meet in person soon, I know it.

      Delete
  4. I don't think my comment saved! But I love your title too, and this sounds like such a powerful story. Best of luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! Good luck to you as well.

      Delete
  5. This is so inspirational--not only coming from such a personal place, but the power this story can have to help others. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wait. Back up. Did you say verse novel? Let me take a minute to give you a round of applause for that alone. Color me duly impressed. I'm lucky if I get words down one right after another without worrying about the rhythm or the rhyme of it.

    Your story sounds incredible. I'm not sure I've come across one like it. I look forward to seeing it when you get published!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for being so brave. And so honest. I'm in awe of what you put down here.
    Joy McCoullough-Carranza was on "my list," and I knew that whoever landed with her would be in the most amazing hands. Cheering you on!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elliah, I can't wait to read this! A compelling premise, and truly a story that must've come from deep in your heart. I've no doubt it will be a poignant and important book. All the best with it! (And once again, hooray for verse novels! haha)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your courage is inspiring! I think the best characters are the ones we understand from a deep POV. I look forward to reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I would so love to read this. We need more books that bravely tell the truth like this. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG!

    My Nano novel is about a 16 yo boy with TS. My 12 yo son was diagnosed in 3rd grade. I asked his permission to write this new story. AND poppies are my symbol for my writing future (that's another story) AND I am a poet.

    I feel like we are meant to know one another.

    And I'm impressed, bc no matter how long I have written and published poetry, writing a book in verse feels impossible to me. You rock.

    \end gushing

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I so need to read this! It sounds so powerful! Good luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so rooting for you and this novel. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete